With fall soon upon us, popular coffee shops have started serving the infamous Pumpkin Spice Latte. Each year, I find myself indulging in one but I’m always left with something to be desired; not to mention a hit to the budget. I’ve used different homemade recipes before but wasn’t blown away by those either. But because homemade is healthier and cheaper, I started searching for a new recipe. Talk about overwhelming! There are tons of different recipes and variations online. None of them were exactly what I was looking for so I decided to come up with my own. Let me tell you, I think I’m in trouble! It was exactly what I was looking for and oh so yummy! Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
PUMPKIN SPICE LATTE
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin purée
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (I made my own blend.)
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup (Depending on how sweet you like it.)
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 1/2-2 cups strong, hot coffee
- Whipped cream, optional
1. In a small saucepan, over medium heat, warm pumpkin purée and pumpkin pie spice until fragrant. Add maple syrup and stir until well blended. When heated through, add milk and a pinch of salt and pepper. (The salt will highlight the sweetness and the pepper will highlight the spices.) Bring mixture to a simmer but do not boil.
2. Add milk mixture to a blender and blend until frothy.
3. Fill mugs about halfway full with strong coffee then pour in milk mixture until it almost reaches the top. Give a quick stir to make sure everything is blended. Add whipped cream if you’d like. Sprinkle with pumpkin pie spice. Enjoy!
Calories per serving (without whipped cream): 137
Update: I’m testing a recipe with skim milk. I’ll let you know the results soon!