So here is the modified muffin recipe I promised. I modified it from the “Chocolate Chip Muffin” recipe. As I suspected, it definitely makes a great base recipe to experiment with. The muffins come out more cake-like but, all in all, I still think it’s a great recipe and will continue using it.
( Yield: 10 regular-size muffins)
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup skim milk
- ¾ tsp of vanilla
- 1 cup + 2 T flour (had to add a little more flour since the batter contained more moisture from the apples)
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- ½ T of baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 whole apple, peeled, cored, and grated
- Brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter muffin tin or line with paper liners.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, and vanilla extract.
- In another large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir in the grated apples.
- With a rubber spatula fold the wet ingredients, along with the melted butter, into the dry ingredients and stir only until the ingredients are combined (do not over mix the batter or your muffins will be tough).
- Evenly fill the muffin cups with the batter.
- Mix cinnamon and brown sugar together and sprinkle on top of muffins.
- Place in the oven and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 18 – 20 minutes.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes before removing from pan.
This recipe yields about 150 calories per muffin. Enjoy!