This is a great, healthy breakfast. It takes a little longer to cook, but I think it’s worth it! It’s a good way to start off your day. I find myself staying “full” longer and feeling more energetic. This morning I added in organic peanut butter for a total of approximately 240 calories per serving. Hope you enjoy!
- ½ cup old fashioned steel cut oats
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup skim milk (or less depending on how creamy you like it)
- 2 T brown sugar (or whatever sweetener you prefer)
- 1 heaping T of organic peanut butter
- Handful of chopped nuts (I like almonds)
- Dried fruit
- Be creative! Try different flavors! (This morning I was thinking peanut butter and jelly! But I didn’t have any jelly so I just went with the peanut butter…mmm…mmm…good!)
- Cook oats according to package directions. This is usually done on the stovetop and takes approximately 15-30 minutes. (Make sure you watch the pan. This has a tendency to boil over or stick to the bottom of the pan.)
- Take off stove, pour into a bowl and add milk and brown sugar. Stir until mixed.
- Add in any other ingredients you’d like: peanut butter, nuts, dried fruit, etc
Breakfast is served! I also have a recipe for the crock-pot that I’ll try to post! Let me know what you think!