In another effort to use up all the miscellaneous ingredients in my house, I decided to make these cupcakes. I have half a bag of shredded coconut that still needs to be used up! We’ll see if I can find a use for it! Anyhoo…this is the first time I tried these cupcakes and I tweaked the original recipe to my own liking. I reduced the portion size, changed the frosting, and added my own toppings! The end result was amazing! These are oh sooo good! Hope you enjoy!
CUPCAKES (Yields about 12)
- 1 ½ sticks of unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 extra-large eggs at room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 7 ounces sweetened, shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs, 1 at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition. Add the vanilla and almond extracts and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In 3 parts, alternately add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk to the batter, beginning and ending with the dry. Mix until just combined. Fold in 7 ounces of coconut.
- Line a muffin pan with paper liners. Fill each liner to the top with batter. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until the tops are brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Remove to a baking rack and cool completely.
- 1/2 cups milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Combine the milk and the flour in a medium saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens.
- Set aside to cool completely, but not in the refrigerator.
- Cream together the butter and sugar. Add vanilla and almond extracts and beat for about 4 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the cooled milk and flour mixture and beat continually until the frosting reaches spreading consistency.
- Frost the cupcakes.
- You can top with coconut, chocolate pieces, and almonds.